TOTAL POUNDS LOST = 37,832
Protein Sparing Modified Fast
This program utilizes medical foods to admnister a medical protocol called a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF), otherwise known as a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD). A VLCD is a medically supervised, ketogenic weight loss program for clients who have at least 30-40 pounds to lose and no medical contraindication such as use of lithum, Type 1 Diabetes that is not closely monitored, or uncontrolled inflammatory bowel disease. For people with one of these conditions, consider a modified program.
The anticipated benefits of the PSMF compared to other approaches may include:
- natural control of hunger through ketosis
- more rapid improvements in blood sugar, blood pressure and fluid retention
- more rapid weight loss
- reduced cravings
- reduced symptoms of inflammation.
Candidates for the program have a BMI over 30 or over 27 with a medical condition such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure or high cholesterol. In general, a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) is appropriate for women with approximately 30 pounds or more to lose and men with approximately 40 pounds or more to lose. Clients typically lose 2-5 lbs per week depending on age, height, gender, body fat percentage, and medical conditions or medications.
Medical foods are not commpercially available and are typically utilized as the sole source of nutrition during active weight loss. The advantages of the meal replacement products are that they are:
- easy to use
- fortified with all needed trace vitamins and nutrients,
- usually less expensive than the cost of your food before you started the program (sometimes eligible for reimbursement through health savings account or flexible spending account.)
To enroll in the PSMF program, you need to:
1. Verify your medical insurance benefits if you would like to use health insurance. We will do that for you when you provide the information here.
2. Complete an Enrollment Application, Medical History Form, Diet Readiness Behavioral Assessment, Informed Consent and Cient Commitment Form. Find them here.
3. Schedule your New Start appointments. You can call or email here to do that. They will consist of 3 appointments. The first is a screening appointment which lasts 30-45 minutes. St At this appointmen you should expect to: complete your registration for the practice, meet with a coach to learn more about you and document for the provider, receive your blood test orders, have a "before" photo taken, a body composition analysis, a waist and neck circumference measured, and an electrocardiogram, if indicated (this may be done at your provider visit).
There is a one time enrollement fee of $195 to begin any program which includes your initial body composition and all program materials as well as some basic supplies. The professional fees for this program may be covered by your health insurance for in person visits if you have high blood sugar, high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol, or other medical necessity. If not covered by your health insurance, or if we do not accept your health insurance, or if you wish to utilize the online program option which is not covered by insurance, the out of pocket cost is $200 a month for all online visits. Monthly in person follow up visits are encouraged if possible and these may be billed to your insruance or are $95 each out of pocket at time of service. Any laboratory tests or EKG costs will be billed to your insurance and Medicare and Medicaid may be billed for the labs even though they can not be billed for our professional services. The meal replacement costs are not covered by insurance and are $4 per meal and $2 per snack, averaging a total cost for food ranging from $84 - $120 per week depending on height and gender.